website design software







 ISBN 978-84-811-9278-6





Nerja Classic Car Club: known as the

Clasicos Balcon de Europa

Mauricio Yeo (Fluent in English and Spanish).

Tel. 952 52 66 45:  Mobile658 926 509

Axarquia Car Club

 Heather, Secretary

Sol Classic Car Club.

 TBA -  Recent committee split?

 Gethin Jones?

Classic Car Club of Andalucia.

 Ian Giles,

 TBA  (ex- Sol CCC)

Club Torrevieja Classics & Specialists Cars.

 Derek Fletcher;

Phoenix Car Club, Torrivieja/Murcia area

 Gill Collins, Secretary or thru web-site

American Classic Cars Club (Costa del Sol).

Added 9th november 2009.

 Secretary, Marlene Dieltiens, thru web-site or Tel.

 952 880225

MORE ADDED WHEN KNOWN.  There does not appear to be a national register of clubs suitable for English-speaking expats.


 REGISTERING Historic Vehicles in Spain

  Please note that copyright © exists on this information as written in English.

 Explanation of some terms/names for new residents

  • Traficois the sub-department of the Ministerio Del Interior that looks after all Traffic related matters including driving licences, vehicle registrations, driving tests and accident statistics.  Trafico has offices in all Provinces and residents should always apply to the Trafico in their Province.
  • TASA means “rate” or the amount charged and for each Trafico application form there is a different rate, so the form title is called “TASA …”
  • Ayuntamiento.  The local council administration.    Unlike the UK, for example, the ayuntamientos set and collect the equivalent of the UK Road Fund Taxes, and because of this, they often vary from one district to another.
  • Nota de Empadronamiento.  The receipt, usually a printed A4 sheet that shows that the foreigner who either owns property or is renting property for long term with a contract is registered with the local ayuntamiento and that he/she resides there with the street address details. 
  • Residencia.  The state of being registered with the Spanish government as being officially resident in Spain for 183 days plus each calendar year.  This has just fallen away and although existing holders are expected to keep the card until it expires.  From the 28th March 2007, registration is done at the local ayuntamiento offices and has been made much simpler, although positive ID is required such as a driving licence or notarised passport copy.  It should be remembered that in Spain, unlike the UK, for example, it is legally necessary to carry positive identification on your person at all times while in public.
  • ITV orInspeccion Tecnica de VehicuLOS. The equivalent of the MOT in the UK.
  • Mauricio Yeo, Pesident of the Clasicos Balcon de Europa Club, based in Nerja, Malaga has provided information on the certification and checked the text here for accuracy.  Many thanks.  Address below.

 The Spanish government though Trafico, has a classification where a vehicle that is deemed of “historic value” and as such should be maintained for historical interest, may be classified as such and issued with a special historic registration, including a special plate number.  Historic value virtually means any old car that could be maintained in very good condition so that in the years to come, it shows the history of transport.  However, it is an owner’s choice as many classics have not been registered, perhaps due to the cost of doing so.  

 What are the basic rules and benefits?

1.                   The vehicle has to be at least 25 years old since the first registration.

2.                   To qualify, it must be inspected by authorities who will certify that it deserves within the rules to be classified as such.    These include:

  • Aqualified vehicle engineer who checks that the vehicle is roadworthy and safe. 

  • The club needs to be legally recogniseD.

  • An appointed and legally recognised  official historic expert usually associated with a historic car or motorcycle club who will check and approve the vehicle’s papers and that the vehicle is original and has no modern modifications except when specifically called for by law for safety reasons.

  •  You also require a certificate from any one of the authorized Official  Laboratories (Mauricio Yeo advises that he uses the Madrid based Institute for Applied Automotive Research) who check the Club and the Engineers' Certificates. Next week an example will be reproduced on this page after I have received it.  The Lab Report is the most expensive document being about €500.  The total cost is usually around €1.000 and this needs to be added to the value of the vehicle.

3.             After you have had the certificates approved by Industria in Sevilla, and they have been approved, you can move to the next step which is  the ITV station when the vehicle is going through its registration process and you will need the above documents to take to the ITV station as part of the registration process.

3.                   The registration of the vehicle is otherwise basically the same as a normal one using Application /Solicitud Form TASA 9.03.

4.                   The benefits may include no ayuntamiento taxes each year (impuesto municipal sobre vehiculos de traccion mecanical) but this depends on the individual ayuntamiento, i.e. Malaga City has a 100% discount, Nerja 50%, but councils such as Madrid do not allow any discounts.  One argument put forward is that there are many cars in Spain in daily use that barely pass the ITV each year, and they are not being maintained as “classics”.

 Rate for the Official form request. (Form available in; refer to the book for details on how to download all forms)   The Trafico rate this year, 2007, (TASA) fee is €69, 40, except for mopeds/scooters up to 49 cc engine capacity, €17, 80.  

 Translation Of Trafico web page on the rules for registering Historic Vehicles.

 With thanks to Mauricio Yeo of Clasicos Balcon de Europa Club.

 Trafico web address:

 The registration must be applied for at the local Trafico office in the Province where the owner lives.

 You will need:

 1.       Identification of the applicant, such as a DNI, NIE, Spanish driving licence, or Passport.

 2.       A document that legally proves the applicant’s home address such as a nota de empadronamiento

 3.       For legally constituted groups such as a company or a club, etc. that owns the vehicle, the registered number of the company with the identity as listed above of the responsible person representing the group or company.

 4.       Minors or incapacitated persons, the details of the father, mother or guardian with their DNI and a document that proves they are legally empowered to act on the applicant’s behalf.

 5.       A “resolution” document from the legally competent authority (Industria in Seville in the case of Andalucia) that proves that the vehicle is registered as a classic.  See web site at

 6.       The vehicle documentation, permiso de circulacion, or in the case of a restored very old vehicle where papers may not exist, proof of legal ownership, along with any supporting documents.

 7.       Tarjeta de inspección técnica from the Province which states that the vehicle is of historic interest, inclusive of blue and pink pages.

 8.       Four good colour photographs of the vehicle from the front, rear and both sides.

 9.       If already registered as a Spanish vehicle, the permiso de circulacion and the ITV receipts for previous inspections, if applicable, i.e. the vehicle has been submitted in the past for these inspections.

 10.    If the vehicle is being imported, the original and a photocopy of the registration documents.

 11.    If the documents do not have the current owner’s name on them, legal proof of ownership which could be a notarised letter from the person/s shown on the registration documents, along with a translation into Spanish which needs to be notarised here in Spain.

 12.    An invoice from the previous owners if a registered company.

 13.    An invoice if both seller and buyer are registered companies.

 14.    If a transport vehicle where the MAM is 6 tonnes and the tare (load) weight is more than 3, 5 tonnes, a certificate of transport, Form ??? (TBA)


·                     A current receipt from the ayuntamiento that the impuesto municipal sobre vehiculos de traccion mechanical has been paid.  Original and photocopy.

·                     A completed form 576, 06 or 05 from the Agencia Estatal de Administracion Tributaria (Tax Office) if the vehicle has NOT been previously registered in Spain. (This applies to all new imports during the re-registration onto Spanish plates)

·                     A receipt or exemption certificate for the transfer tax if a contract between registered companies applies.

·                     A “Documento Único Administrativo” (DUA) issued by the Spanish Customs authority if the vehicle has been imported form outside the European Union.

  Long established classic or vintage vehicle clubs have the official ability to assist in the certification of the classic vehicle and it is recommended that the services of these are used because they have the experience, the contacts and the knowledge of the old vehicles to do the work quickly and economically.  It should be noted that quickly in this case could mean a total of three months. 

On such person who can assist in this matter here on the Costa Del Sol is Mauricio Yeo, who is fluent in Spanish and English, and who is President of the Nerja Classic Car Club (?) (Clasicos Balcon de Europa) Tel. 952 52 66 45: 658 926 509: E-mail,


At this time the first two certificates are about €150 each, but the registration at the Paritos  (Industria in Seville for the Region of Andalucia)  can cost up to another €5 to 600 depending on the vehicle.

 If readers in other Provinces including the Gran Canarias know of other such classic vehicle clubs including for motorcycles, please send me an E-.mail with the details of the e-mail address and the President or committee member and I will find out information there and include them in this web-site for the information of others in those areas.  See page on social and historic clubs.

 Other countries, as found on the Internet.

 Belgium: 25 plus years. Not to be used as your everyday transport, travelling abroad is only allowed to meetings and old-timer events. No road tax, cheap insurance.
France: 25 plus years. You must stay in your department (Province) and those next to it. Not to be used as your everyday transport, travelling abroad is only allowed to meetings and old-timer events. Huge discounts apply for insurance. "Contrôle technique" (whatever that is) is a lot easier.
United Kingdom: Before 1972, classed as a classic  where no road fund taxes are payable.  There are other classifications which I believe, from memory are, up to 1910, classed as antique, 1910 to 25 years old, classed as vintage, younger but
United States of America: 25 plus years.
 Germany: 30 plus years, very cheap road tax, simplified technical control but your vehicle must be »original«. You must own another vehicle which is fully taxed.
 Netherlands: 25 plus years after 1st registration, not manufacture.
Italy: seems to be a major headache, like having to be a member of a classic car club.
Spain: a vehicle is considered as historical 25 years after the official date of manufacture. It must preserve the original looks and parts.    ITV is every two years until age 35, then every five years. It is highly recommended to join a classic car club. The certifying can take as long as 9 months.

 Notes to readers.  Any other factual information you can provide so that others can benefit will be welcomed.  My E-mail address is    Please put “Re-historic vehicles" in the Subject line so it is not deleted as SPAM. 

This page will be updated from time to time.

Last update: 9 November 2009

Return to Motoring Page




[INDEX] [motoringinspain] [newbookindex] [bookshopslist] [motorevreport] [motoreview3] [drivelicenceletteradsl] [mediaccident] [ukdistributor] [eufueltaxes] [drivelicenceJan2009x] [dlregform] [historicvehicles] [clublegal] [classicclubs] [Motoringinspain] [Untitled92] [Untitled93]